20 Jun Suryanamaskar
This practice is “Vyayam” – Sanskrit for Exercise. Given all its benefits, it is the one practice which makes us feel brightest, lively and truly positive throughout the day.
Daily, we try and avoid physical exertion as it is discomforting, takes time, results in fatigue when we start exercising after a long time! With time, lack of exercise ends up causing harm to our bodies. We see this in issues like shortness of breath, slowing down of our metabolism, lower cardiac health, lack of nutrients, and build-up of toxins (ama). Due to lack of exercise, the body also suffers from issues like loss of flexibility in joints, bones becoming brittle, muscles wearing away, and of course, weight gain. The list is quite long.
Ayurveda is a science which has been with us for the last 3000 years and has come into existence through the actions of our ancestors observing nature, its constituents, and how they provide to us
sustenance to lead healthy lives. Ayurveda has provided us with an effective remedy to help us lead positive and healthy lives. That effective remedy is SURYANAMASKAR, which when translated into English, stands for SUN SALUTATION!
A form of repetitive exercise, it has a series of 12 poses which test and enhance the body’s ability to endure stress, strain, pain and a feeling of absolute discomfort. With so many poses and asanaas, it takes care of practically every part of the body and its constituents right from head to toe.
As for the advantages that SURYANAMASKAR brings, there are quite a few like:
1. With so much movement in such a short span, it helps build muscle mass which itself strengthens the body, gives it the right shape and provides a great posture.
2. With the body’s demand for energy increasing, stored energy in the form of body fat gets used up which results in weight-loss. Also, intense exercises such as Suryanamaskar increase basal metabolism throughout the day which helps digest food better and faster with lesser chances of gaining weight.
3. With such stress, the lungs are forced to breathe deep and regular which results in increased blood flows to all essential parts of the body including the heart. Issues such as breathlessness, irregular heartbeat, etc get cured faster.
4. Toxins are expelled quicker from the body in various forms including sweat, breath, urine, and stool. For stool, the various poses help relieve constipation and similar conditions.
5. With constant bending and moving, blood flows to the brain and the spinal cord increases which has a positive effect on the nervous systems besides improving the entire thought process.
6. The varied movements of Suryanamaskar help build the body’s sense of balance
7. With the whole body undergoing constant strain, joints which have gone stiff start to develop flexibility which reduces pain and swelling.
8. For women, Suryanamaskar is a known remedy to cure menstrual cramps and helps those undergoing issues with menopause.
Our ancestors always spoke of the advantages of exercise and that it should be done in the morning when things are calm and quiet, and the air outside is clean and pure. During such time, one should practice Suryanamaskar with full vigour. Initially, it WILL disturb and cause anxiety but with time and patience, it will bring all its advantages.
For a lifetime of health, vitality and positivity, practice Suryanamaskar. And if you have made up your mind, start NOW!
This article is meant solely to provide information about remedies under Ayurveda and is not meant to be used for diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease.
Where the reader or any other person has chronic and/or dire health issues, it is advisable to consult a trained and certified medical practitioner for a complete and comprehensive diagnosis which can address the underlying issues effectively.
Recova Life and its constituents are also certified medical practitioners who can be consulted. Our numbers are +91 83800-16119 and Email ID email@example.com
With respect to the consumption of any herbs, fruits, vegetables and the likes mentioned here, it would be advisable where you consult a certified medical practitioner for his/her opinion before-hand.