15 Nov Ayurvedic Detoxification – An Effective Way of Internal Cleansing
#007 Ayurvedic Detoxification – An Effective Way of Internal Cleansing
Now that Diwali is firmly behind us and we are truly on our way to winters, with all the over-indulgence in the week during Diwali + a few days after, what do you think most Indians need to do?
Quite simply, we need to detox! Yes, all the good, good stuff laden with oil, ghee, spices etc are good for the tongue and to our bodies, the latter though only to an extent. Beyond that they just go on to produce “Ama” or toxins in the body. Agreed, Ghee and spices and rice and what have you are all good for our health but only till a point. Beyond that, it’s pure greed resulting in pure toxicity and a recipe for bad health for a lifetime.
Adding to toxicity are our lives in these stressful times! Be it driving, working, exercising or even conversing with a neighbour. All these too carry and element of conflict which bring in stress and thus the leaching of toxins into our bloodstreams to take control of situations both imagined or real.
Another great additive to this explosive mix is our inability to stop eating the (so-called!) good, good, good factory-produced stuff be it chocolates, pizzas, burgers, deep-fried goodies. We give all the sugar-rich colas too the same treatment. Eat, drink and keep doing it till the day we realize we are so deep into it, that it’s very difficult to get out!
There are other additives to the process of accumulating toxins or “ama” including the lack of any form of exercise, no concept of reflection on our thoughts and action and like mentioned before, zero control over food.
The accumulated result of all that is mentioned before is that there comes a time when our system starts to give up due to the deposit of large quantities of toxins and we don’t remain in a condition to handle it in its entirety or take any corrective actions!
Hi, Dr Madhura Bhide here. In my 20 years of experience handling down Ayurvedic remedies to all manner of ailment, I have come across more than my share of cases on the subject of detoxification and I shall today tell you how to detoxify in the simplest of ways and remain healthy for ever!
1. Make up your mind that you need to detoxify. No one can force you to. And if they do and you relent, the effect will never be the same! Call it the “Placebo effect” but the mind does play a role in the way one’s body works. So, come to a conclusion that you need to do things differently from what you have been doing.
2. Get a correct and established reading of your “Doshas” so that your detox plan can be formulated around your correct dosha and how to bring about peace to it and so too to your body and mind. It’s thus advisable to visit an established Ayurveda Clinic (like of course Recova Life) which can give you an accurate reading of your prakriti and how to go about pacifying or stoking your doshas.
3. Chalk out a time-frame by which you shall begin and end your detox program. An aimless detox program with no fixed schedules derails sooner than it begins! Schedules here means the equivalent of “Dincharya” in Ayurveda where you chalk out each step in detail and try and adhere to the same to the extent possible.
- Preferably have the detox session around week-end when you have no prior commitment so that your established schedule does not go haywire.
- Plan for a very quiet time when you connect with your real self while Ayurveda guides you to do just the right amount of Diet, Exercise and Meditation
- Buy all your staple items, especially those related to food like rice, split moongh daal, some pappad and pickles (the last two only meant to enhance taste of the light food being eaten
4. Healthy sleep the night before you plan to start your detoxification. Preferably sleep early so that you can get up at dawn when the detox action begins.
5. Get up way before sunrise and adhere to the following routine:
– Get up early- preferably before dawn and
- Brush your teeth with manjan powder & scrape your tongue to take care of the ama there
- Drink about 0.5 litres of water so as to aid in cleaning the system as also fire the digestive engines
- Gentle exercise including non-strenuous yoga, walking, slow, slow exercise etc which gets your system running
- If the season so permits, Abhyanga (massage with oil) should be performed using pre-medicated heated herbal oils.
- A bath/ shower in warm water using soap sparingly
- Eat simple foods like khichadi of rice and split moongh daal ideal between 7 AM and 8 AM to be repeated again between 12.00 and 1.00 PM and again for dinner between 6 and 7.30 PM. After dinner, no further food should be consumed till morning
- Triphala, the eternal Ayurvedic medication for cleansing may be consumed 30 minutes before bedtime. A half-teaspoon of triphala powder should be mixed in half a cup of boiling water and the concoction left to cool. Once it reaches palatable temperatures, drink it.
- Be in bed between 9.30 PM and 10.00 PM for the days that you plan to detoxify.
– Things to take care of during the time you detox under Ayurveda:
- Be in a very, very relaxed & receptive mood which helps you connect with your real, inner self
- Keep all distractions at bay
- Do not be around things that promote quick action, quick reflexes, loud sounds, arguments etc
- Since this is about cleansing the body and the aatma, there would be times when you feel emotionally unstable and unhinged. During such time, be kind to yourself, cajol the little child in you, and let the moment pass because things change with time!
- Be at rest all the time to the extent possible. The detox is of the mind AND the body. One CANNOT detox if the other is hard at work. So try and relax every which way!
There is no denying that detox is one of the best ways to remove toxicity from one mind and body. The trick is to understand when one needs to detox and how to go about it correctly.
We at Recova Life are always at your service. You could visit us in Pune and/ or visit our website www.recovalife.com or #roadtorecova.com.
A pertinent point we would like to add here is of our sessions in Pune on various activities under Ayurveda which range from teaching yoga to hair-care sessions to correct breathing techniques and so on. The list of what all Recova Life plans to do is long. But do we will! And if that interests you, do visit our website and register your email ID to get timely information on all our future sessions.
Till then, detox your mind, body and soul. And see the world in a new light!
This article is meant solely to provide information about remedies under Ayurveda and is not meant to be used for diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease.
Where the reader or any other person has chronic and/or dire health issues, it is advisable to consult a trained and certified medical practitioner for a complete and comprehensive diagnosis which can address the underlying issues effectively.
Recova Life and its constituents are also certified medical practitioners who can be consulted. Our numbers are +91 83800-16119 and Email ID email@example.com
With respect to the consumption of any herbs, fruits, vegetables and the likes mentioned here, it would be advisable where you consult a certified medical practitioner for his/her opinion before-hand.